[Python-Dev] What does Android support mean?

Xavier de Gaye xdegaye at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 11:41:42 EST 2017

On 12/11/2017 03:58 PM, Carl Bordum Hansen wrote:

 > I've been lurking at your progress with android support for about a year, and now that it is closing in I simply have to ask: what does it actually mean that android is supported? That Android apps
 > will be easy to develop in Python? That I can easily run Python script or a REPL on my phone?

Hello Carl,

It means that we will make sure that changes made to Python to fix it or to improve it will not break on Android for the supported API level and architectures.
One can already run Python scripts or the interactive interpreter and install packages with pip using termux, a great application.
Kivy can be used to develop in Python apps that work on Android and you may be interested in the Python Mobile SIG [1] mailing list or in the VOC [2] transpiler that converts Python code into Java
bytecode.

Xavier

[1] https://www.python.org/community/sigs/current/mobile-sig/
[2] https://github.com/pybee/voc