[Python-Dev] PEP 540: Add a new UTF-8 mode (v3)

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 23:47:48 EST 2017

Now I'm OK to accept the PEP, except one nitpick.

> Locale coercion only impacts non-Python code like C libraries, whereas
> the Python UTF-8 Mode only impacts Python code: the two PEPs are
> complementary.

This sentence seems bit misleading.
If UTF-8 mode is disabled explicitly, locale coercion affects Python code too.
locale.getpreferredencoding() is UTF-8, open()' s default encoding is UTF-8,
and stdio is UTF-8/surrogateescape.

So shouldn't this sentence is: "Locale coercion impacts both of Python code
and non-Python code like C libraries, whereas ..."?

INADA Naoki  <songofacandy at gmail.com>