[Python-Dev] socketserver ForkingMixin waiting for child processes

Ryan Smith-Roberts rmsr at lab.net
Fri Aug 11 18:34:51 EDT 2017

I agree that blocking shutdown by default isn't a good idea. A child will
eventually get indefinitely stuck on a nonresponsive connection and hang
the whole server. This behavior change is surprising and should be reverted
in master, and definitely not backported.

As for block-timeout or block-timeout-kill, waiting more than zero seconds
in server_close() should be optional, because you're right that the best
timeout is circumstantial. Since ThreadingMixIn also leaks threads,
server_close() could grow a timeout flag (following the socket module
timeout convention) and maybe a terminate boolean. ThreadingMixIn could
then also be fixed. I'm not sure how useful that is though, since I'd bet
almost all users of socketserver exit the process shortly after
server_close(). Plus it can't be backported to the feature-freeze branches.

It seems like this is getting complicated enough that putting the fix in
test_socketserver.py is probably best. Another solution is to add a secret
terminating-close flag to ForkingMixIn just for the tests. Is that good
practice in the stdlib?