[Python-Dev] PEP 528: Change Windows console encoding to UTF-8

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 12:55:53 EDT 2016

On 5 September 2016 at 21:19, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> The code I'm looking at doesn't use the raw stream (I think). The
> problem I had (and the reason I was concerned) is that the code does
> some rather messy things, and without tracing back through the full
> code path, I'm not 100% sure *what* level of stream it's using.
> However, now that I know that the buffered layer won't ever error
> because 1 byte isn't enough to return a full character, if I need to
> change the code I can do so by switching to the buffered layer and
> fixing the issue that way (although with Steve's new proposal even
> that won't be necessary).

Just as a follow-up, I did a quick test of pyinvoke with the new
3.6b1, and it works fine. So it looks like the final version of the
code doesn't cause any problems for this use case, which is a good
sign.

Also, behaviour with other console utilities like prompt_toolkit and
ipython console seems uniformly better (my standard check using euro
signs works perfectly, I can't say I've gone any further to Asian
scripts or anything like that).

Overall, this looks really cool - thanks Steve for getting this in!

Paul