[Python-Dev] Python 3.6 dict becomes compact and gets a private version; and keywords become ordered

Tim Delaney timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 19:50:58 EDT 2016

On 10 September 2016 at 03:17, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> I've been asked about this. Here's my opinion on the letter of the law in
> 3.6:
>
> - keyword args are ordered
> - the namespace passed to a metaclass is ordered by definition order
> - ditto for the class __dict__
>
> A compliant implementation may ensure the above three requirements
> either by making all dicts ordered, or by providing a custom dict
> subclass (e.g. OrderedDict) in those three cases.

I'd like to add one more documented constraint - that dict literals
maintain definition order (so long as the dict is not further modified).
This allows defining a dict literal and then passing it as **kwargs.

Hmm - again, there's no mention of dict literals in the PEPs. I'm assuming
that dict literals will preserve their definition order with the new
implementation, but is that a valid assumption? Guess I can test it now
3.6.0b1 is out.

Tim Delaney