[Python-Dev] sys.path file feature

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 05:40:53 EDT 2016

On 10 September 2016 at 18:37, Wolfgang <tds333 at mailbox.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> tracking the commit log I have noticed for Windows there was added a new
> feature which is very interesting and can also be useful for other
> platforms.
>
> If I read it right it supports adding a sys.path text file near the
> executable to specify the Python sys.path variable and overwriting the
> default behavior.
>
> https://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/03517dd54977

While I'm all for adding ways to simplify CPython sys.path
configuration, they shouldn't be added as implicit side effects of
other changes without at least some discussion of the chosen approach.

If there isn't time for that, and it's needed to solve a particular
problem, then the underscore-prefix naming convention indicating "this
is not a standardised and supported interface" works just as well for
config files as it does for module and attribute names.

Cheers,
Nick.