[Python-Dev] Python 3.6 dict becomes compact and gets a private version; and keywords become ordered

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Sep 9 14:39:27 EDT 2016

On Sep 09, 2016, at 01:08 PM, Elvis Pranskevichus wrote:

>Are there any downsides to explicitly specifying that all dicts are ordered?
>People will inevitably start relying on this behaviour, and this will
>essentially become the *de-facto* spec, so alternative Python implementations
>will have to follow suit anyway.

It *might* make sense to revisit this once 3.5 is no longer maintained at all,
but I think Guido's exactly right in his analysis.  If people start relying on
all dicts being ordered now, their code won't be compatible with both 3.5 and
3.6, and I think it's important to emphasize this to developers.

Cheers,
-Barry