[Python-Dev] runtime dlls on Windows

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed May 25 16:26:54 EDT 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 12:37 PM, Ryan Gonzalez <rymg19 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wouldn't downloading the Microsoft C++ Runtime 2015 also work?

I'm sure it would -- I know that installing the entire MSVC2015 Community
Edition does...

but the point here is that end users should be able to:

pip install something

and if there is a binary wheel for something, it should work without them
having to install something else. (why MS doesn't ship ALL their runtimes
with eh OS is beyond me...)

As it stands now, there are two options:

1) users need to install something else themselves: the runtime, that
particular dll, the compiler...
2) every package maintainer that uses C++ needs to ship that dll with the
binary wheels.

If we put the dll into the python binary, then it would "just work"

-CHB

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov