[Python-Dev] file system path protocol PEP

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Wed May 11 19:05:32 EDT 2016

On 05/11/2016 03:13 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:

> If [...] I would drop os.path changes and make os.fspath() do what
 > Ethan and Koos have suggested and simply pass through without checks
> whatever path.__fspath__() returned if the argument wasn't str or bytes.

Not to derail the conversation too much, as I know we're all getting
burned out on the topic, but that last bit is not accurate: my druthers
are to have __fspath__ be able to return str /or/ bytes, and if anything
else comes from the object in question an exception must be raised.
Maybe a word got lost between your thoughts and your fingers -- happens
to me all the time.  :)

--
~Ethan~