[Python-Dev] Minor change to Enum -- should it go into 3.5.2?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun May 8 22:15:59 EDT 2016

On 9 May 2016 at 08:43, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> On 05/08/2016 03:29 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
>> If enum were provisional it would be okay, but since it isn't, I think
>> this change can't go into 3.5.2. Think if this: could any code that
>> works in 3.5.1 be broken by the change?
>

> No, but with the change code that works in 3.5.2 could break in 3.5.1 or
> 3.5.0.
>
> It's a 2/3 compatibility issue with enum34 and aenum which support _order_,
> and Python3.4+ which does not.  The work-around is to use __order__ instead
> (or use enum34 or aenum instead ;) .

Needing to use a PyPI alternative to a stdlib module for increased
cross-version consistency is a pretty common experience these days, so
I think that's OK - end users can choose for themselves between the
stability of the stdlib version and the reduced update latency of the
PyPI version.

Cheers,
Nick.