[Python-Dev] Restore functions pickling

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed May 4 14:55:32 EDT 2016

On Wed, 4 May 2016 at 11:39 Всеволод Величко <torkvemada at sorokdva.net>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was recently porting my application from Py2 to Py3 and encountered
> error, when I accidentally became unable to define my own pickling
> mechanism for functions.
> Before that I was using it to pickle pure lambdas, registering my own
> handler for cPickle with copy_reg, but after [1] (and release 3.4) it seems
> that feature has been removed.
>
> As it mentioned in commit message, this was done for compatibility with
> pure-python pickle. So I have to ask, may be it would be better to revert
> the commit and add the corresponding feature to pure-python pickle
> implementation?
>

> [1] https://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/6bd1f0a27e8e

If you want to provide a patch to implement function pickling in pure
Python code and make this work with both pickle.py and _pickle.c we might
be up for accepting the patch. You can also open an issue requesting
pickling support for functions at bugs.python.org to keep track of the
request and see if anyone else is interested in the feature.