[Python-Dev] PEP 514: Python registration in the Windows registry

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 05:49:36 EDT 2016

On 18 July 2016 at 18:01, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 July 2016 at 17:33, Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org> wrote:
>>> Some comments below.
>>
>> Awesome, thanks! Posted a pull request at
>> https://github.com/python/peps/pull/59 for ease of diff reading, and some
>> commentary below (with aggressive snipping).
>
> Thanks - I'll do a proper review of that, but just wanted to make a
> few comments here.

Added some comments to the PR. Basically:

1. We could do with a better descrition of use cases.
2. We either require registry keys to be user-friendly (no UUIDs!) or
we find an alternative approach for the virtualenv-style use case.
3. Registering "how to start the interpreter" (python.exe or whatever)
should be mandatory.

I don't think we're far off, though.

Paul