[Python-Dev] Google Summer of Code

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Feb 7 21:38:52 EST 2016

As long as it's been brought up here:

Yes, the PSF is applying.  Google has been deliberately stirring
things up in the last couple of years, so no promises, but it is very
likely that we will be approved and core Python will have at least two
slots allocated (although I'm not sure core Python even has a suborg
admin yet, Terri will recruit someone).

Please see the Wiki page at
https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2016
for more details.

To contact the org admins (for wiki permissions and to join the
mentors' mailing list), use the python.org mailbox gsoc-admins.
core-mentorship is a good place to recruit students as well as to get
advice on mentoring (or mentor-mentoring, if you're a suborg admin
with new mentors).

@Victor: I agree with you that implementing FATPython optimizations is
a good student-level project, and one that is likely to attract
continuing participation.  You should get in touch with the admins[1]
about updating the wiki page at:
https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2016/python-core.

It's looking kinda lonely at the moment.  Note that we can still add
suborgs and projects after we've been approved (in 2-3 weeks) up to
March 7, but the more projects and the more attractive they are, the
better our chances of being accepted, and the better the students
we'll attract.

Footnotes:
[1]  I'm an assistant admin, but just recovering from Faculty Hell
Month and a nasty cold, and don't have a handle on my own tools yet.
Somebody else is likely to get to it more quickly. :-(