[Python-Dev] Opcode cache in ceval loop

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 08:36:54 EST 2016

On 3 February 2016 at 06:49, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Yury Selivanov writes:
>
>  > Not sure about that... PEPs take a LOT of time :(
>
> Informational PEPs need not take so much time, no more than you would
> spend on ceval.txt.  I'm sure a PEP would get a lot more attention
> from reviewers, too.
>
> Even if you PEP the whole thing, as you say it's a (big ;-)
> implementation detail.  A PEP won't make things more controversial (or
> less) than they already are.  I don't see why it would take that much
> more time than ceval.txt.

For a typical PEP, you need to explain both the status quo *and* the
state after the changes, as well as provide references to the related
discussions.

I think in this case the main target audience for the technical
details should be future maintainers, so Yury writing a ceval.txt akin
to the current dictnotes.txt, listsort.txt, etc would cover the
essentials.

If someone else wanted to also describe the change in a PEP for ease
of future reference, using Yury's ceval.txt as input, I do think that
would be a good thing, but I wouldn't want to make the enhancement
conditional on someone volunteering to do that.

Cheers,
Nick.