[Python-Dev] File system path encoding on Windows

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 23:58:05 EDT 2016

On 30 August 2016 at 13:29, Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org> wrote:
> The other discussion about OpenSSL and LTS systems is also interesting. Do
> we really expect users to take their fully functioning systems and blindly
> upgrade to a new major version of Python expecting everything to just work?
> That seems very unlikely to me, and also doesn't match my experience (but I
> can't quantify that in any useful way, so take it as you wish).

As far as I'm aware, new developers running new Windows and Mac OS X
releases from python.org and new versions of non-LTS Linux distros are
the folks most impacted by the 3-6 month post-release window where the
rest of the Python ecosystem plays catch-up to any breaking changes in
the new release - while a lot of major libraries and frameworks do
compatibility testing during the beta period, it's far from being a
universal practice.

Existing developers are able to stick with the versions they already
know work, and upgrade at a time that suits them, rather than getting
the newest version just because it's the newest version.

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. My working assumption is that these two observations are not
unrelated phenomena ;)