[Python-Dev] {RELEASE] Python 3.6.0a4 is now available

Philipp A. flying-sheep at web.de
Wed Aug 17 11:02:34 EDT 2016

hi, i already posted in python-ideas, but i got no replies, so i’ll post
here:

in essence i think interpreting escape sequences in f-literals is a *very*
bad idea, mainly because i think it’s fundamental that syntax highlighters
can highlight code as code.

so they should highlight the code parts of f-literals as code to avoid bugs
and misunderstandings (parts highlighted as string aren’t expected to
execute). for many syntax highlighters, it’s *impossible* to properly
highlight python code after this change makes python’s grammar recursive
(escaped code in f-literals, doubly-escaped code in escaped f-literals in
f-literals, …).

i want this changed because i think it’s only done this way to reuse the
string tokenization code (i.e. convenience), not for some deeper reason.
the RFC even says so. however, f-literals aren’t strings, but expressions,
so string tokenization rules shouldn’t apply to the non-string parts.

how am i going about changing f-literal grammar before the beta hits?

i consider this important enough to defer f-literals to 3.7 if it can’t get
in in time.

best, philipp