[Python-Dev] When should pathlib stop being provisional?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Apr 5 19:45:50 EDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Alexander Walters
> <tritium-list at sdamon.com> wrote:
>> * pathlib should be improved (specifically by making it inherit from str)
>
> I'd like to see this specific change settled on in the PEP, actually.
> There are some arguments on both sides, and some hybrid solutions
> being proposed, and it looks to be an important enough issue to people
> for there to be an answer somewhere. It seems to come down to a
> sloppiness vs strictness concern, I think, but I'm not sure.

This does sound like it's the crucial issue, and it is worth writing
up clearly the pros and cons. Let's draft those lists in a thread
(this one's fine) and then add them to the PEP. We can then decide to:

- keep the status quo
- change PurePath to inherit from str
- decide it's never going to be settled and kill pathlib.py

(And yes, I'm dead serious about the latter, rather Solomonic option.)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)