[Python-Dev] PEP: Collecting information about git

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Sep 17 03:59:40 CEST 2015

On 9/16/2015 5:20 AM, Oleg Broytman wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 07:44:28PM +0000, Augie Fackler <raf at durin42.com> wrote:

>> There are a lot of reasons to prefer one tool over another. Common ones are
>> familiarity, simplicity, and power.
>
>     Add here documentation, speed, availability of extensions and
> 3rd-party tools, hosting options (both locally installable and web
> services).

For me, the killer 3rd party tool in favor of hg is TortoiseHg, which I
use on Windows. As far as I know (I did check a bit), there is no
equivalent for git on Windows.  For me, the evaluation should be between
hg+TortoiseHG versus git+???.

For instance, having the DAG nicely displayed is especially important
given the CPython repository policy of 1 head per branch and all commits
on maintenance branches merged forward. A week ago, someone left an
unmerged 3.5 commit. When I opened THG and looked at the graph, it was
immediately obvious.  About 6 clicks and it was merged forward,
committed, and pushed. To me, the idea of having to instead type (and
likely, mistype) 3 commands is unacceptible.

--
Terry Jan Reedy