[Python-Dev] PEP: Collecting information about git

Oleg Broytman phd at phdru.name
Sun Sep 13 20:58:10 CEST 2015

Hello!

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 02:10:42PM -0400, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> One of the things I think is missing from most git documentation, is an
> effective workflow for handling multiple branches.

   Thank you for the good question! I doubt there One True Way, so the
core team will choose one of the existing ways or develop their own.

   I can recommend three sources of information. First, gitworkflows
(``git help workflows``):
https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitworkflows.html
   The chapter "MANAGING BRANCHES" describes how the very git developers
do that and what they recommend as the best practice.

   Second, the corresponding chapters in ProGit:
https://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Branching-Branching-Workflows
https://git-scm.com/book/en/Distributed-Git-Contributing-to-a-Project

   Both gitworkflows and The Book are linked from the PEP and I don't
think there is a need to copy texts from the docs to the PEP.

   The third source of information is not mentioned in the PEP, though.
I have to think where to put it. It is well-known git-flow article:
   It has very detaild rules on creating and managing mainline branches,
topic branches and bugfix branches. To support the flow at the software
level the author implemented ``git flow`` extension:
https://github.com/nvie/gitflow
   See an example at
http://alblue.bandlem.com/2011/11/git-tip-of-week-git-flow.html

Oleg.