[Python-Dev] PEP 495 Was: PEP 498: Literal String Interpolation is ready for pronouncement

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Sat Sep 12 03:12:05 CEST 2015

On 9/11/2015 5:40 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:

> The insanity I am dealing with now
> But the decision to allow interzone t - s was made long time ago and
> it is a PEP 495 goal to change that.

The first few paragraphs you wrote, which I elided, are a great
explanation of why things work in ways that might be unexpected, and by
including in the descriptions other things that might be unexpected, it
helps people realize that the need to understand what the operators
really mean, when applied to classes, rather than numbers.  Of course,
even floating point number operations and integer division only
approximate mathematical reality, if you are looking for more examples.

But the beginning phrase about "insanity" should probably be elided in
documentation, yet the body could very well be appropriate for tutorial
documentation, even if not reference documentation, although I'd not
object to finding it there.

The last phrase, about it being a PEP 495 goal to change that, might be
true, but if it changes it, then it would be a confusing and backward
incompatible change.

> Yes, but are we willing to accept that datetimes have only partial order?

That's what the politicians gave us. These are datetime objects, not
mathematical numbers.