[Python-Dev] Yet another "A better story for multi-core Python" comment

Trent Nelson trent at snakebite.org
Thu Sep 10 01:02:39 CEST 2015

On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 04:52:39PM -0400, Gary Robinson wrote:
> I’m going to seriously consider installing Windows or using a
> dedicated hosted windows box next time I have this problem so that I
> can try your solution. It does seem pretty ideal, although the STM
> branch of PyPy (using http://codespeak.net/execnet/ to access SciPy)
> might also work at this point.

I'm not sure how up-to-date this is:

http://pypy.readthedocs.org/en/latest/stm.html

But it sounds like there's a 1.5GB memory limit (or maybe 2.5GB now, I
just peaked at core.h linked in that page) and a 4-core segment limit.

PyParallel has no memory limit (although it actually does have support
for throttling back memory pressure by not accepting new connections
when the system hits 90% physical memory used) and no core limit, and it
scales linearly with cores+concurrency.

PyPy-STM and PyParallel are both pretty bleeding edge and experimental
though so I'm sure we both crash as much as each other when exercised
outside of our comfort zones :-)

I haven't tried getting the SciPy stack running with PyParallel yet.

    Trent.