[Python-Dev] Benchmark results across all major Python implementations

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Nov 17 13:40:32 EST 2015

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 23:37:06 +0000, "Stewart, David C" <david.c.stewart at intel.com> wrote:
> Last June we started publishing a daily performance report of the latest Python tip against the previous day's run and some established synch point. We mail these to the community to act as a "canary in the coal mine." I wrote about it at https://01.org/lp/blog/0-day-challenge-what-pulse-internet
>
> You can see our manager-style dashboard of a couple of key workloads at http://languagesperformance.intel.com/
> (I have this running constantly on a dedicated screen in my office).

Just took a look at this.  Pretty cool.  The web page is a bit confusing,
though.  It doesn't give any clue as to what is being measured by the
numbers presented...it isn't obvious whether those downward sloping
lines represent progress or regression.  Also, the intro talks about
historical data, but other than the older dates[*] in the graph there's
no access to it.  Do you have plans to provide access to the raw data?
It also doesn't show all of the test shown in the example email in your
blog post or the emails to python-checkins...do you plan to make those
graphs available in the future as well?

Also, in the emails, what is the PGO column percentage relative to?

I suppose that for this to have maximum effect someone would have to
specifically be paying attention to performance and figuring out why
every (real) regression happened.  I don't suppose we have anyone in the
community currently who is taking on that role, though we certainly do
have people who are *interested* in Python performance :)

--David

[*] Personally I'd find it easier to read those dates in MM-DD form,
but I suppose that's a US quirk, since in the US when using slashes
the month comes first...