[Python-Dev] Single-file Python executables (was: Computed Goto dispatch for Python 2)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu May 28 20:37:44 CEST 2015

On 5/28/2015 12:44 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

>> I do think single-file executables are an important piece to Python's
>> long-term competitiveness.
>>

> I completely agree. I talk to a lot of people about packaging of things, and while
> I think there are some serious problems with huge parts of Go’s packaging and
> distribution story the static linking and compiling down to a “single” file is not
> one of them.

How about the following compromise between assuming the presence of
installed python and ignoring the possibility of installed python: we
provide (as least for Windows) a C startup file that checks for the
needed version of python and offers to download and start the installer
if not present.  A user would see 'Python 3.5 is needed to run this
file; shall I download and install it?' just once on a particular machine.

--
Terry Jan Reedy