[Python-Dev] Mac popups running make test

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Sun May 10 20:14:41 CEST 2015

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 9:07 PM, Carol Willing <
willingc at willingconsulting.com> wrote:

> On 5/10/15 10:29 AM, Tal Einat wrote:
>
>  On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 10:04 AM Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't run the test suite in awhile. I am in the midst of running it
>>> on my Mac running Yosemite 10.10.3. Twice now, I've gotten this popup:

>>> new thing, either with the Python test suite or with Mac OS X? (I'd
>>> normally be hidden behind a NAT firewall, but at the moment I am on a
>>> miserable public connection in a Peet's Coffee, so it takes on slightly
>>> more importance...)
>>>

>>  It's not new.
>>

>  Indeed, I've run into this as well.
>

>>>  I've also seen the Crash Reporter pop up many times, but as far as I
>>> could tell, in all cases the test suite output told me it was expected.
>>> Perhaps tests which listen for network connections should also mention
>>> that, at least on Macs?
>>>

>>  Wouldn't hurt. Just requires tracking down which test(s) triggers it
>> (might be more than one and I don't know if answering that popup applies
>> for the rest of the test execution or once per test if you use -j).
>>

>  If anyone starts working on this, let me know if I can help, e.g. trying
> things on my own Mac.
>
>    I believe that the message has to do with OS X's sandboxing
> implementation and the setting of the sandbox's entitlement keys. Here's an
> Apple doc:
> https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/Miscellaneous/Reference/EntitlementKeyReference/Chapters/EnablingAppSandbox.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40011195-CH4-SW9
>
> I'm unaware of a way to work around this other than using Apple's code
> signing or adjusting target build settings in XCode :( If anyone knows a
> good way to workaround or manually set permission (other than clicking the
> Allow button), I would be interested.

I was reading about this a few weeks ago an recall finding a way to ad-hoc
sign the built python executable. Here's a link below. I haven't tried
this, though, and don't know if it would work with a python executable
rather than a proper OSX app. If it does work, it would be useful to add
this as a tool and/or mention it in the developer docs.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/121010

- Tal Einat