[Python-Dev] PYTHONHTTPSVERIFY env var (was: Clarification of PEP 476 "opting out" section)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri May 8 10:52:20 CEST 2015

On 07.05.2015 04:30, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> Can we please make the monkeypatch a regular part of Python's
>> site.py which can enabled via an environment variable, say
>> export PYTHONHTTPSVERIFY=0.
>>
>> See http://bugs.python.org/issue23857 for the discussion.
> I actually do think it would be good to have such a feature as a
> native part of Python 2.7 in order to provide a nicer "revert to the
> pre-PEP-476 behaviour" experience for Python 2.7 users (leaving the
> "there's no easy way to turn HTTPS certificate verification off
> globally" state of affairs to Python 3), but I don't currently have
> the time available to push for that against the "end users can't be
> trusted not to turn certificate verification off when they should be
> fixing their certificate management instead" perspective.

We're currently working on a new release of eGenix PyRun and this
will include Python 2.7.9.

We do want to add such an env switch to disable the cert verification,
so would like to know whether we can use PYTHONHTTPSVERIFY for this
or not.

We mainly need this to reenable simple use of self-signed certificates
which 2.7.9 disables.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 08 2015)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/