[Python-Dev] Buildbot x86 XP-4 3.x doesn't compile anymore: drop it?

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Sat Mar 28 11:19:16 CET 2015

On 28/03/2015 09:51, Victor Stinner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The buildbot x86 XP-4 3.x doesn't compile anymore since 3 months or
> more (maybe when Steve upgraded the Visual Studio project to VS 2015?
> I don't know).
>
> Would it be possible to fix this buildbot, or to turn it off?
>
> By the way, do we seriously want to support Windows XP? I mean, *who*
> will maintain it (no me sorry!). I saw recent changes to explicitly
> *drop* support for Windows older than Visa (stop using GetTickCount,
> always call GetTickCount64, for time.monotonic).

Per PEP 11, we track Microsoft lifecycle support, so we no longer
support WinXP on 3.5 and newer. We do support XP on 3.4 and older,
including 2.7. At least, that's my understanding. Given that, the only
XP buildbot which makes sense is one running VS 2008 (2.7, 3.1, 3.2) or
VS 2010 (3.3, 3.4).

I think -- and I'm responding here to the wider set of emails Victor has
just posted re failing buildbots -- that the difficulty with red
buildbots is finding someone at the intersection of understanding the
buildbot platform and understanding the code which has just broken it.
(Or at least, having the wherewithal to come to understand both).

And that someone might well not be the person who's hosting the
buildbot: at its minimum they run up a VM and install the OS and the
required tools. It's can be a way of offering help to the Python
community without even being involved in core development at all.

I concur with what Victor's touched on: that buildbots are not useful if
they're always red. But finding the right person to turn them green is
not necessarily easy.

For myself I'm quite willing for someone to ping me with: "there's a
Windows buildbot gone red; can you have a look?" But I have precious
little time, and if the failure requires me to garner an understanding
of a deep-level code change, a version-specific issue with the VS
compiler, and some odd interaction with VM on which the buildbot is
running, I'm unlikely to have enough time or energy to invest in it.

Willing-but-not-always-able-ly-yours,

TJG