[Python-Dev] libffi embedded in CPython

Steve Dower Steve.Dower at microsoft.com
Wed Mar 25 16:57:53 CET 2015

Zachary Ware wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2015 4:22 AM, "Paul Moore" <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On a related note, is there any information available on how the
>> "externals" repo is maintained? In particular, should things in there
>> be exact copies of upstream, or is it OK to include extra data (in
>> this case, the results of running "configure" for the Windows build)?
>> It works for me either way, it's just a matter of how the build
>> process would be structured and maintained.
>
> Its not extremely clear how it's "supposed to be" done; look at the differences
> between how we handle OpenSSL and Tcl/Tk, for example. One way or the other,
> though, we will store the configure output so that our build doesn't depend on
> any more than it absolutely has to.

It would be nice for at least one other person to know how to do it. I can't see the SVN logs, but I feel like you're the only person who's touched it in a while :)

As well as the configure output, we sometimes include very light patching (for example, Tcl/Tk currently has a patch to their makefile to work around a VC14 bug). I'm not sure whether that's considered good practice or not, but I prefer only needing to do it once vs. building it into the build system.

Cheers,
Steve