[Python-Dev] backwards and forwards compatibility, the exact contents of pickle files, and IntEnum

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Sun Mar 15 07:58:23 CET 2015

On 03/14/2015 11:46 PM, Glenn Linderman wrote:

> In general, it would seem to me that each version of Python could add object types that are foreign to prior versions,
> and so as long as version N can unpickle anything produced by versions <=N, all would be well.

The question to me is because we not so much adding something brand-new (socket.AF_INET has been there for ages), as
changing the type of something already existing -- I'm just not sure if we need "end-result" compatibility (achieved by
the first option) or if we need "bug for bug" compatibility (achieved by the second option).

--
~Ethan~