[Python-Dev] Tunning binary insertion sort algorithm in Timsort.

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 17:28:55 CET 2015

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 10:53 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 08, 2015 at 10:57:30PM -0700, Ryan Smith-Roberts wrote:
>> I suspect that you will find the Python community extremely conservative
>> about any changes to its sorting algorithm, given that it took thirteen
>> years and some really impressive automated verification software to find
>> this bug:
>
> On the other hand, the only person who really needs to be convinced is
> Tim Peters. It's really not up to the Python community.

Also, there's no sense discouraging people who have ideas to
contribute. So what if nha pham's contribution isn't accepted? You
never know when the next Tim Peters, Georg Brandl, Mark Dickinson, or
Brett Cannon will turn up. (That list is practically endless. Don't
feel slighted if I failed to mention you.) With seven billion people
out there, a few of them are bound to be pretty smart.

Skip