[Python-Dev] Importance of "async" keyword

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 17:48:37 CEST 2015

On 2015-06-26 10:31 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 12:20 AM, Ethan Furman<ethan at stoneleaf.us>  wrote:
>> >As Nick said earlier: the caller always blocks; by extension (to my mind, at
>> >least) putting an `await` in front of something is saying, "it's okay if
>> >other tasks run while I'm blocking on this call."
> Apologies if this is a really REALLY dumb question, but... How hard
> would it be to then dispense with the await keyword, and simply
> _always_  behave that way? Something like:

Chris, Sven, if you want this behavior, gevent & Stackless Python
are your friends.  This approach, however, won't ever be merged in
CPython (this was discussed plenty of times both on python-ideas
and python-dev).

There is also a great essay about explicit vs implicit suspension
points: https://glyph.twistedmatrix.com/2014/02/unyielding.html

Yury