[Python-Dev] Status on PEP-431 Timezones

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Mon Jul 27 17:04:42 CEST 2015

On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 16:37:47 +0200, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 3:59 PM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> > I don't remember what that does to the time, and I have
> > no intuition about it (I just want it to do the naive arithmetic!)
>
> But what is it that you expect?

"I just want it to do the naive arithmetic"

> > So, would it be possible to take the timezone database support from
> > pytz, and continue to implement naive-single-zone arithmetic the way Tim
> > proposes, and have it automatically produce the correct UTC offset and
> > UTC-offset-label afterward, without a normalize call?
>
> That depends on your definition of "correct".

If I have a time X on date Y in timezone Z, it is either this UTC offset
or that UTC offset, depending on what the politicians decided.  Couple
that with naive arithmetic, and I think you have something easily
understandable from the end user perspective, and useful for a wide
variety (but far from all) use cases.

I'll stop now :)

--David