[Python-Dev] Burning down the backlog.

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 04:40:10 CEST 2015

On 27 July 2015 at 11:37, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> My goal here is to *transfer* the knowledge of what makes a good review
> process and a good patch from the existing committers to new committers,
> and therefore acquire new committers.

+1000 :)

A few years back, I wrote this patch review guide for work:
https://beaker-project.org/dev/guide/writing-a-patch.html#reviewing-a-patch

Helping to create a similarly opinionated guide to assist reviewers
for CPython has been kicking around on my todo list ever since, but
it's a lot easier to create that kind of guide when you're the
appointed development lead on a relatively small project produced
almost entirely through paid development - I wrote it one afternoon,
uploaded it to gerrit.beaker-project.org, and the only folks I needed
to get to review it were the other full-time developers on the Beaker
team.

I don't think that would be the right way to create such a guide for a
volunteer driven project like CPython, but steering a more
collaborative community discussion would require substantially more
time than it took me to put the Beaker one together.

Cheers,
Nick.