[Python-Dev] How far to go with user-friendliness

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Jul 17 01:03:13 CEST 2015

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 08:30:59 +1000
Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 06:59:16 +1000
> > Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > >
> > > +1.
> > >
> > > These checks are a good thing, but they belong in a linter tool not as
> > > aliases in the API.
> >
> > Practicality beats purity. Unless you have been actually *bitten* by
> > those checks I don't think there's any serious reason to complain.
>
> By definition, advocating to not add cruft to an API is going to be in
> advance of being bitten by those additions.

This sounds very much like FUD to me. I specifically talked about being
*actually* bitten by it, not speculating that you may one day be bitten
by it without even giving any specifics as to why you think that,
except some vague stance on purity.

On the other hand, the maintainer mentioned there were concrete cases
where some people's test suites were *helped* by the change.

You may of course continue this theoretical argument, but I doubt doing
so will sway anyone's opinion.

Regards

Antoine.