[Python-Dev] PEP 485 review (isclose())

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Feb 27 20:38:26 CET 2015

I think it's time to accept PEP 485. I've re-read it once more, and it
looks like the text is in great shape. (My only recommendation would be to
update the Abstract to state that we're specifically adding math.isclose().)

A wording question: "This implementation has a flag that lets the user
select which relative tolerance test to apply -- this PEP does not suggest
that that be retained, but rather than the weak test be selected." -- I
think this was meant to say "... rather *that* the weak test be selected",
right? (It would be nice if the sample implementation defaulted to the
choice in the PEP.)

However, those are just minor edits, and I hereby approve the PEP. Thanks
Chris and everyone else for the fruitful discussion (and thanks especially
to Chris for eventually ending the bikeshedding and writing a PEP that
explains each of the choices). Congrats!

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)