[Python-Dev] Request for Pronouncement: PEP 441 - Improving Python ZIP Application Support

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 20:02:40 CET 2015

On 26 February 2015 at 17:28, Glenn Linderman <v+python at g.nevcal.com> wrote:
> * The name of a directory, in which case a new application archive
>   will be created from the content of that directory.
> * The name of an existing application archive file, in which case the
>   file is copied to the target.  The file name should include the
>   ``.pyz`` extension, if required.
>

> Or   ".pyzw", I presume.

Yes.

> * If it is an open file object, the archive will be written to that
>   file object, which must be open for writing in bytes mode.
> * If the target is omitted (or None), the source must be a directory
>   and the target will be a file with the same name as the source, with
>   a ``.pyz`` extension added.
>

> Hmm. So one _must_ specify a target if one wants a .pyzw.

Correct. Generally I don't think pyzw will be used often, so I don't
see that as a major problem. I'll add a clarifying note if the PEP
needs another round of edits, but I'm inclined not to bother the PEP
editors if this is all that needs changing.

>             The destination archive will have the specified name.  The
>             given name will be used as written, so should include the
>             ".pyz" extension.
>

> Or ".pyzw", I presume.  You used ``funny quotes`` around extensions earlier,
> but not here.

Again yes.
Normal quotes because this chunk is already in a literal block, so
``...`` is redundant.

Paul