[Python-Dev] Emit SyntaxWarning on unrecognized backslash escapes?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Feb 25 07:00:44 CET 2015

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> writes:

> What bothers me is that the hardest to understand failures cannot
> possibly be helped, because they are legal, meaningful syntax that
> conflicts with syntax common in external contexts.

There is a wider context here, too: semantics of the backslash escape
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backslash#Usage> commonly include
“backslash followed by a character not otherwise mentioned will produce
that character, verbatim”.

Proposals to change that for Python's string literals must account for
the fact this will make Python's rules for backslash escape surprisingly
different in this regard from many other usages of backslash escape.

> Replacing mnemonics like '\t' with '\x09' (or even '\u0009' in Python
> 3) in debugging output (including error messages) seems like a much
> better idea to me.

+1. This will not cause any valid behaviour today to fail, whereas it
will make the common problems much more likely to be noticed by
newcomers.

--
 \     “I went to a fancy French restaurant called ‘Déjà Vu’. The head |
  `\                  waiter said, ‘Don't I know you?’” —Steven Wright |