[Python-Dev] str(IntEnum)

Demian Brecht demianbrecht at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 17:38:17 CET 2015

While working on a bug in the issue tracker, I came across something that I thought was a little odd around the behaviour of IntEnum. Should the behaviour of an instance of an IntEnum not be symmetric to an int where possible? For example:

>>> class MyEnum(IntEnum):
...     FOO = 1
>>> MyEnum.FOO == 1
True
>>> MyEnum.FOO * 3 == 3
True
>>> str(MyEnum.FOO) == str(1)
False

In my mind, the string representation here should be “1” and not the label. Was this simply an oversight of the specialized IntEnum implementation, or was there a concrete reason for this that I’m not seeing?