[Python-Dev] PEP 370 - per-user scripts directory on Windows

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 10:13:09 CET 2015

On 13 February 2015 at 06:59, Thomas Heller <theller at ctypes.org> wrote:
> To make it clear: My suggestion is (or was, maybe it isn't a good idea)
> to have some way to start 'something' that is in the Scripts
> directory of a Python installation (which is usually a python script
> or an exe-wrapper for it), without typing in the full path.  And without
> changing the PATH envrionment variable.

People using the old-style "scripts" keyword to setup() can put pretty
much anything into the Scripts directory - I've seen .py files, Python
files with no suffix, bat files, even Unix shell files (not much use
on Windows...) in there. I don't think it's reasonable for the
launcher to try to run all of those things.

Maybe restricting it to running ".py" files or ".exe" files would be
reasonable. That covers entry points (which should be the norm for
newer projects) and Python scripts (which are the most likely things
to be portable).

Paul