[Python-Dev] PEP 370 - per-user scripts directory on Windows

Steve Dower Steve.Dower at microsoft.com
Fri Feb 13 01:20:44 CET 2015

Vinay Sajip wrote:
> By the way, although I turned over the standalone launcher to pypa, I forked
> that repo, and do development on my fork [1]. I remembered that I added a
> feature (with the help of Pawel Jasinski) to allow e.g. py -ipy to pick a
> command 'ipy' configured in the .ini file (this is used to launch IronPython,
> but it could be used for other things too). In addition, my version has some
> bugfixes (e.g. use of iswspace instead of isspace, which is wrong). Steve's
> changes seem to just be related to adding IP_VERSION - I'm not sure what that's
> about and I haven't looked into it yet; I just skimmed the differences, and
> didn't see anything major in launcher.c (I compared with the version in the
> default branch of cpython).

I thought I did more than that, but maybe that was attempting to make things work :) The default branch is the most up to date.

The big change is that the registry key for 32-bit Python now includes the "-32" suffix, so that you can install 32-bit and 64-bit versions per-user at the same time and we don't have a collision. The launcher needed some updates to handle that, since it was assuming that registry key names would never be more than three characters long. Probably everything else I did was elsewhere in Python or in the installer. (Btw, it sounds like your installer will work better as a standalone tool, though my MSI has the advantage that it won't collide with a Python 3.5+ installation. I'm not fussed about whose 'wins' though.)

Cheers,
Steve