[Python-Dev] async/await behavior on multiple calls

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Dec 16 12:57:31 EST 2015

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 1:50 AM, Roy Williams <rwilliams at lyft.com> wrote:

> I totally agree that async/await should not be tied to any underlying
> message pump/event loop.  Ensuring that async/await works with existing
> systems like Tornado is great.
>
> As for the two options, option 1 is the expected behavior from developers
> coming from other languages implementing async/await which is why I found
> the existing behavior to be so unintuitive.  To Barry and Kevin's point,
> this problem is exacerbated by a lack of documentation and examples that
> one can follow to learn about the Pythonic approach to async/await.

I don't disagree that more intro docs are needed.

However, just to cut short a fruitless discussion, there is zero chance
that Python will change (nor is there any chance that the other languages
will change). Language features that look the same often don't behave the
same (e.g. variables in Python are entirely different beasts than in C#,
and also behave quite differently from variables in JavaScript). Also, if
you aren't giving up on changing Python, please move to python-ideas, which
is the designated place to discuss possible language changes.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)