[Python-Dev] PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 02:15:31 CET 2014

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> I also don’t know how to do this. When I’m doing multiple things for CPython
> my “branching” strategy is essentially using hg diff to create a patch file
> with my “branch” name (``hg diff > my-branch.patch``), then revert all of my
> changes (``hg revert —all —no-backup``), then either work on a new “branch”
> or switch to an old “branch” by applying the corresponding patch
> (``patch -p1 < other-branch.patch``).

IMO, this is missing out on part of the benefit of a DVCS. When your
patches are always done purely on the basis of files, and have to be
managed separately, everything will be manual; and your edits won't
(normally) contain commit messages, authorship headers, date/time
stamps, and all the other things that a commit will normally have.
Using GitHub automatically makes all that available; when someone
forks the project and adds a commit, that commit will exist and have
its full identity, metadata, etc, and if/when it gets merged into
trunk, all that will be carried through automatically.

I strongly support this PEP.

ChrisA