[Python-Dev] Move selected documentation repos to PSF BitBucket account?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 13:09:10 CET 2014

On 24 November 2014 at 22:01, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> On Nov 24, 2014, at 6:44 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> No, I'm not offering to write such a PEP either. I'm requesting that we
>> recognise that a promotion of GitHub needs to account for its downsides
>> too, and needs to promote its specific benefits separately from the
>> benefits of Git.
>>

> In many cases Github is git’s killer feature which is why you see a lot
> of people equate the two. It’s not unusual to see a project switch away
> from X to git entirely so they can use Github.

And this is why the "you can still get your data out" argument doesn't
make any sense - if you aren't planning to rely on the proprietary
APIs, GitHub is just a fairly mundane git hosting service, not
significantly different in capabilities from Gitorious, or RhodeCode,
or BitBucket, or GitLab, etc. So you may as well go with one of the
open source ones, and be *completely* free from vendor lockin.

Cheers,
Nick.