[Python-Dev] Language Summit Follow-Up

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri May 30 19:51:00 CEST 2014

On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 3:40 AM, Mark Roberts <wizzat at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I'd really like to see is a Python 2.8 that makes sufficient changes to
> Python 2 that writing libraries which cross the boundary between 2 and 3 is
> relatively easy instead of a painful nightmarish chore.  Because when push
> comes to shove, Python 2 support is still infinitely more important than
> Python 3.

That's of absolutely ZERO value to anyone who has to maintain support
for Python 2.3 or even 2.7. Will this hypothetical 2.8 run, unchanged,
all code written for 2.7? If not, all you've done is add a third
branch to maintain, and solved nothing; and if it will, how much can
you really change?

ChrisA