[Python-Dev] On porting to Python 3 as the answer

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Mar 23 17:22:05 CET 2014

This really upset me:

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 3:17 AM, <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> I think asking developers to make significant modifications to their
> code is besides the point of the PEP. However, if they are willing
> to make changes, I'd still recommend that they port their code to
> Python 3, as that is the better long-term investment.

This is a completely unrealistic form of wishful thinking, and repeating it
won't make it more true.

At Dropbox I work with a large group of very capable developers on several
large code bases that are currently in 2.7. We are constantly changing our
code to make it more secure (there are several teams specifically in charge
of that). And yet porting to Python 3 is completely out of scope, for a
variety of reasons.

Please stop your wishful thinking.

(TBH, I expect that none of the changes to Python 2.7 under consideration
would  make any difference for the security of Dropbox. But neither would
switching to Python 3.)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)