[Python-Dev] Confirming status of new modules in 3.4

Giampaolo Rodola' g.rodola at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 12:02:47 CET 2014

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 3:17 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> I don't think so. asyncio depends on selectors but not vice versa. The
> selectors module was not part of PEP 3156. It is solid and I don't see any
> reason why it should get a reprieve from the usual strict backwards
> compatibility standards.

One part which can be improved is that right now the selectors module
doesn't take advance of e/poll()'s modify() method: instead it just
unregister() and register() the fd every time, which is of course
considerably slower (there's also a TODO in the code about this).
I guess that can be fixed later in a safely manner.

Another concern I have is that we should probably rename self._epoll,
self._select, self._kqueue to just "self._poller": that would make
subclassing easier (see patch in issue http://bugs.python.org/issue18931)
and would provide a unified interface for those users who want to reference
the underlying poller object for some reason.

--
Giampaolo - http://grodola.blogspot.com