[Python-Dev] Windows 'for current user' installation - 32/64-bit registrations overwrite each other

Jurko Gospodnetić jurko.gospodnetic at pke.hr
Mon Mar 10 14:03:24 CET 2014

   Hi.

   When running the Python Windows installer 'for all users', the 32-bit
installation and the 64-bit installation each gets a separate
registration in the Windows registry. E.g. under:

   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Python\PythonCore\3.4

and:

   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Python\PythonCore\3.4

   However, when running the installer 'for the current user only', the
32-bit and the 64-bit installation both use the same Windows registry key:

   HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Python\PythonCore\3.4

   Note that a 64-bit installation does not automatically uninstall a
previous 32-bit installation in either case, or vice versa.

   Why the mismatch?

   As I understand it, whichever installation you use, you should be
able to run a specific Python interpreter using the py.exe runner, as it:

   py.exe -3.4
   py.exe -3.4-32

   As it stands now - both of those run the same interpreter when they
have been installed 'for the current user only'.

   Is this as issue or desired behaviour? Should I open an issue for it?

   Best regards,
     Jurko Gospodnetić