[Python-Dev] PEP 460: allowing %d and %f and mojibake

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Jan 15 03:07:41 CET 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 01:03:13PM +1300, Greg Ewing wrote:
> Nick Coghlan wrote:

> >That way lies the Python 2 text model, and we're not going there. It's
> >probably best to think of asciistr as a way of demonstrating a
> >rhetorical point about the superiority of the Python 3 text model
>
> Hmmm... something like "The Python 3 text model is so
> superior that we have to use this weird hack to write
> something that makes perfectly good semantic sense
> but is very awkward to write otherwise" ?-)

I don't think mixing bytes and strings makes good semantic sense. If
this discussion has taught me anything, it is that mixing the two is
"Here Be Dragons" territory, fraught with danger.

It may be that there are applications where mixing them is
*unavoidable*, but I think that it's never *sensible*.

--
Steven