[Python-Dev] PEP 460 reboot and a bitter fight

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 13 15:25:21 CET 2014

On 13/01/2014 07:59, Ethan Furman wrote:
> On 01/12/2014 11:15 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>

> The proponents (myself, you, Stufft, Eric Smith, et al*) are arguing
> that bytes already has an ASCII bias, already has ASCII string methods,
> that it isn't the same as the Py2 world because if you combine a bytes
> object with a str object outside of interpolation (such as b'hello' +
> 'world') it doesn't work, that only bytes would ever be returned, etc, etc.
>
> --
> ~Ethan~

"ASCII bias" seems to me an understatement.  From
http://docs.python.org/3/library/stdtypes.html#bytes-and-bytearray-operations
"Due to the common use of ASCII text as the basis for binary protocols,
bytes and bytearray objects provide almost all methods found on text
strings".  Can you get any clearer than that, or have I been completely
swamped by the massive tsunami that these PEP 460 threads are?

Note that I'm *NOT* taking sides here, I'd just like to see a peaceful
settlement without any bloodshed :)

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence