[Python-Dev] [RELEASED] Python 3.4.0b2

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 16:57:06 CET 2014

On 6 January 2014 15:29, Bob Hanson <d2mp1a9 at newsguy.com> wrote:
> At any rate, the attempts to connect to the network seem like
> undesirable behavior to this man. If pip is necessary, then some
> Window users may well end up without it -- and then not know why
> something later doesn't work.

I have installed python 3.4b2 on Windows (7, 64-bit) and seen no
network connections like this. I didn't check too closely, and I don't
know that my (corporate) firewall would necessarily report this to me.
But it seemed fine to me. I'll see if I can try an install on a VM
with no network access at some point, and see what that does.

One possibility which might be worth investigating - some Windows
software can insert itself into the network stack and trigger extra
net calls (I believe it's common with things like parental control
software, and I once ended up with a thoroughly broken network because
ZoneAlarm did something nasty to me). As no-one else seems to be
having the issues you are, could it be that something else is
intercepting part of the install process, unrelated to Python?

It's also worth noting that the Python MSI is "just" a database of
files and settings to install (plus some post-install scripts that
would behave the same on all systems, and don't connect to the net
AIUI). The MSI is interpreted, as you note, by the OS-supplied
msiexec.exe. Is it possible that you have some sort of patched msiexec
(there's lots of opportunity for OEM customisation in Windows, maybe
your hardware supplier added something to get a logo/advert from their
website when installs run)?

I'm clutching at straws here, certainly, but it does look like it's an
issue local to your setup.
Paul