[Python-Dev] Start writing inlines rather than macros?

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 18:22:37 CET 2014

Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> The Visual Studio team has publicly stated they will never support C99,
> so dropping C89 blindly is going to alienate a big part of our user base
> unless we switch to C++ instead. I'm fine with trying to pull in C99
> features, though, that we can somehow support in a backwards-compatible way with VS.

So you are saying that Python should use "the C that Visual Studio
supports"? I believe Microsoft is not competent to define the C standard.
If they cannot provide a compiler that is their bad. There are plenty of
other standard-compliant compilers we can use, including Intel, clang and
gcc (MinGW).

Sturla